Re: [hybi] updated Charter proposal (Criteria) (was: WebSocket)

Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> Tue, 27 October 2009 12:11 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:11:50 +0200
From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
To: hybi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [hybi] updated Charter proposal (Criteria) (was: WebSocket)

it seems to me that there are opportunity reasons (e.g. do a specific
piece of work; the efforts people have spent during the last years on WS)
but also some consensus on focus the WG long term solution on WebSocket
protocol

however what is not clear is *"what criteria that proposed changes to WS
needs to meet"* (as suggested by Mark)

so far Ian has followed a fairly strict set of criteria for changes to
WS (from Ian mail:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg00695.html);
mainly
- keep the protocol simple
- specifically designed for JS clients
- possibility to update it regularly without bootstrapping through
intermediaries

(Ian, please correct me if I have misinterpreted you)

However there are people in the group that do think the criteria for
changes should be less strict and also take in consideration
intermediaries,
infrastructure providers and/or even servers and also clients different
from JS clients.

So I'd like have a discussion in the mailing list about the criteria
that proposed changes to WS need to meet

cheers
/Sal