Re: [I18ndir] Fwd: Working Group Last Call: Structured Headers for HTTP

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 03 February 2020 07:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 02:01:45 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
cc: i18ndir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [I18ndir] Fwd: Working Group Last Call: Structured Headers for HTTP

Martin,

Remembering that, at least in principle, the purpose of the
Directorate is just to advise the ART ADs, why not just send a
note to the WG list, during the WG LC, pointing out that, for a
document like this (and, as you point out, in this day and age),
they should either support a much broader range of characters of
include an Internationalization Considerations section that
explains why not.

Because HTTP is not supposed to be visible to users, if the
Directorate is going to get involved, we will probably need to
have the usual discussion about protocol elements versus
user-visible strings, noting that one could easily have:

   Foo-Header: "Unicode in UTF-8 and NFKD"

Which is an all-ASCII description of a potentially non-ASCII
payload.  It seems to me that the fifth and six paragraphs of
that section (starting with "Unicode is not directly
supported...") address the issue in a clear way.  One can
disagree with the assertion there about causing interoperability
issues but that is a much more subtle and complex question than
"in this day and age".

Of course, in honor of the Rat Year and one of said rat's
favorite holes, we might then repeat the original IDNA argument
about UTF-8 discriminating against East Asian writing systems
and move toward a Bootstring-style encoding rather than
ASCII-encoded UTF-8.

And, FWIW, I am personally pleased to see that the draft is
using Base64 for byte sequences rather than %-encoded octets.

best,
   john

--On Monday, 03 February, 2020 04:38 +0000 "Martin J. Dürst"