Re: [I2nsf] request for comments to the gap analysis draft

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 11 June 2015 00:08 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Romascanu, Dan (Dan)'" <dromasca@avaya.com>, 'Dacheng Zhang' <dacheng.zdc@alibaba-inc.com>, i2nsf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:08:05 -0400
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] request for comments to the gap analysis draft

Dan:

Thank you for the feedback.  It is really appreciated. Thank you for letting
me know where I missed aligning it with the charter, and the editorial
issues.   This draft definitely needs an large editing pass.  I will take
another editing pass early morning on Thursday.   If you get this could you
provide we with some-other feedback on a few key points.

You staste:

1.       In general I find many of the descriptions of scope and status of
other work to be much too detailed. Just focus on what role they can plat at
the capability layer security policies - as protocols, information and data
models.

Ok - I think you are wrong technically.  <soap box on> I think this type of
reasoning is the reason why we have stove-pipes instead of an integrated
solution in IETF.  I put it in because I think people should think about it.
If people are not willing to design both the protocol and place within other
protocol we will continue to be stove-pipes.  <soap box off>

 If you are the BOF chair, you are the Boss - so you tell me what you want
in the BOF document and if I do not like it - I will send a minority report.

-----------

Most of the feedback  is reasonable, but I'm really having a bit of trouble
with your review on section 3 and section 5.   Section 3 discusses how the
I2NSF fits into the Security Area's efforts, and why it matters. Section 4
will be expanded to indicate ETSI NFV ISG,  OpenStack Firewall / SaaS, CSA
SaaS and ODL GDP use in firewalls.  Section 4 tells why the industry
matters.  Section 5 discusses how I2NSF fits into existing work in NM/OPS,
Internet,  Routing (I2RS interface, SFC), and Transport area.  The
discussion of these areas only point where I2NSF is different, and where it
aligns.  This is FAQ for Area directors.

I'm trying to determine if my errors were editorial or technical.  Since
this is a GAP analysis for the Security area, I did not provide details on
the security working groups (MILE, DOTS, and SACM) - I would feel the gap
analysis was a failure.  Section 3 was written a bit light-hearted as I felt
repeating things to the security director in a repetitive fashion (It would
bore Stephen out of his mind.).

In routing, we consider if a new protocol fits into all of the routing
protocols.  In OPS/NM, we consider if the protocol fits into the whole
management structure.  Section 3 - is that section for security.  To provide
a more detailed report:

.         MILE WG deals with lightweight incidents, and for security these
are the things that go "bump in the night" the "Security incidents, such as
system compromises, worms, viruses, phishing incidents, and denial of
service, typically result in the loss of service, data, and resources both
human and system." RFC6545.  See MILES charter for any incident.   One thing
these incidents reports may cause is for the provisioning of NSF systems.
To not consider how MILE WG incident reporting fits in with NSF - seems
unwise.

.         SCAM - charter indicates it look at automating systems that store,
process, and transmit information, and focus on endpoints.  These security
reports may run in NSF devices handling some of the endpoint configuration,
or run in end nodes reporting these systems to the work.  An overview of the
place of I2NSF should look at this point.

.         draft-mglt-dots-use-cases-00 is describing how to signal threats.
It also will work in alignment with the I2NSF work  by running in the same
boxes.

The I2NSF charter should not say much except - "works well with the other
security efforts".  However, the GAP analysis should clearly point out where
the NSF work fits into the security standardization work.

I will try to put a summary section in the section 4 that points toward
charter input.

I added L3SM because security and BNG into L3S is sometimes considered part
of L3SM services.  SFC is considering pathways to NSF boxes as part of the
BNG replacement (Access replacement) or the pipelines to the new vNSF boxes.
This is why I added this work.  NSIS - I agree, but it predated me joining
as an author so I hoped to get feedback.  VNFPool can be removed, but I
think it is a key technology for the ETSI to be successful.  I was going to
pull things out the ETSI management document and issues from MSOs.  This
document does not support it at this time.

Editorial comments are well taken.  I pushed out this document to an
untimely rebirth.  My apologies to my co-authors.

Sue