Re: [I2nsf] request for comments to the gap analysis draft

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 10 June 2015 12:23 UTC

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Dacheng Zhang <dacheng.zdc@alibaba-inc.com>, "i2nsf@ietf.org" <i2nsf@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:22:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.64.58.48]
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] request for comments to the gap analysis draft

Hi,
Thanks for doing this work. It's very useful, but I believe there is also some more work ahead.

1.       One of my concerns is that the current I-D is not synchronized well with the latest focused scope of work as it is reflected in the charter. This is very visible in the introduction section which speaks about VNF with SDN and about an 'I2NSF protocol' which is not in the scope of the charter. On the other hand there is nothing in this section or in the rest of the document about flow-based NSFs, or about the I2NSF Capability Layer

2.       The terminology and the diagrams in sections 2 and 3 are not aligned with the content of the other documents. Ideally they should have been defined in the problem statement or framework document and referred here only. The SEP/SPDP terminology (which I personally like) needs to be synchronized with the terminology in the merged-i2nsf-framework draft which talks about security controllers

3.       A pass on language, spelling, grammar is badly needed. I cannot figure out what for example 'MILE - looks at events that go Bump in night in the Security 2015.' Means

4.       It's not clear why some of the IETF activities are mentioned at all. Only these activities that may provide or yield into deliverables that can serve the capability layer security policy need to be reviewed. I do not believe that L3M, SFC, NSIS, VNFPool need to be mentioned at all, or maybe just listed as clearly out of scope.

5.       In general I find many of the descriptions of scope and status of other work to be much too detailed. Just focus on what role they can plat at the capability layer security policies - as protocols, information and data models.

6.       What about the work from outside the IETF? Section 6 in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dunbar-i2nsf-problem-statement/ mentions ETSI NFV ISG,  OpenStack Firewall / SaaS, CSA SaaS. Why are these not included here?
Thanks and Regards,

Dan