Re: [i2rs] I2RS minutes for the I2RS Interim (5/27/2015)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 05 June 2015 18:46 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Juergen Schoenwaelder' <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:46:53 -0400
Cc: jhaas@pfrc.org, i2rs@ietf.org, "'Joel M. Halpern'" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS minutes for the I2RS Interim (5/27/2015)

Juergen:

<chair hat on>
The agreement with the NETCONF WG chairs was to bring requirements to
NETCONF.  The I2RS  is working to bring a full-set of requirements for I2RS
protocol based on

draft-ietf-i2rs-traceability-03 (WG LC)
draft-haas-i2rs-ephemeral-state-reqs-00 (WG Adoption)
draft-ietf-i2rs-pub-sub-requirements-02 (WG LC)
and mutual-authentication/transport text from
draft-haas-i2rs-netmod-netconf-requirements-01 (draft forthcoming).

This work is based on technology proposed by authors of traceability,
pub-sub, and Jeff's co-workers on ephemeral state (Juniper).   While
draft-haas-i2rs-ephemeral-state-req-00 is not 100% complete, it has gotten a
lot of discussion and has the form of a proposal.

I2RS is taking choice (a) below  - to state its requirements to the
NETCONF/NETMOD group and to evaluate the solutions they propose.   Based on
feedback from members of the NETCONF WG, the I2RS WG is trying to a best
effort in specifying its requirements including the I2RS ideas of solutions
so that we may transmit as much information to NETCONF/NETMOD as possible.
We are not adopting choice b or c at this time.  Choice (a) does not
constrain I2RS to accept the solution NETCONF/NETMOD proposes, but says the
I2RS will review the resulting technology from NETCONF/NETMOD based on the
I2RS requirements.

If you feel the overlay model discussed at the NETMOD interim is a viable
candidate, I suggest you write a draft outlining the details for I2RS WG.
If you publish draft, I will put you on the agenda on 6/10/2015 for the WG
to consider before we close on the ephemeral state.  As you know from being
a WG chair, the floor is open now for the overlay alternative but the
adoption call of Jeff's draft (draft-haas-i2rs-ephemeral-state-reqs-00)
signals a direction that the WG will take.
<chair hat off>

It would please me personally if you had time to published a draft with
details for the overlay model published in a draft prior to 6/9/2015 so we
can consider overlay model concepts.   Perhaps you can chat with Kent Watsen
about creating the draft together.

Sue Hares