Re: [i2rs] I2RS minutes for the I2RS Interim (5/27/2015)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 12 June 2015 15:45 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Juergen Schoenwaelder' <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 11:43:38 -0400
Cc: jhaas@pfrc.org, i2rs@ietf.org, "'Joel M. Halpern'" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [i2rs] I2RS minutes for the I2RS Interim (5/27/2015)

Juergen:

Mahesh Jethanandari indicated that he wanted to make sure the comment after
2c below has been responded to the following comment:

>"I am concerned about adding protocol mechanisms that are specific to a
certain data model.

> It is unclear what a "node" unit it, terms like 'highly reliable
notifications' and 'high bandwidth,

> asynchronous interface, with real-time guarantees' are somewhat unclear -
how do we

> determine we have met any of these requirements?"

I want to thank you and Mahesh for making sure this question gets asked.

You are correct that I2RS is data-model focused, and the unit of
notification is data dependent. Below my best estimate of the units with
times, notifications,  normal groups of the units with times.  See
Definitions for the info, I2RS Model info, Notifications and read/write
groupings.

Would it be helpful to have this information on a wiki-page for now?  I will
query each model author to provide their input to the wiki page, and start a
discussion on the mail list.

I think it is useful to put these requirements in their drafts.  What do you
think?

Sue Hares

===================================

Definitions

A few repetitions of the definitions may help from the architecture document
and interims may help:

Highly reliable notifications: are notifications which provide notifications
which align with the current status.  In the I2RS interim notes, we noted
notifications are not logging which is covered by the traceability draft.
Notifications are status changes and each model provides the status changes.
If the changes come too quickly (E.g. route changes), then the change will
give the latest status. Highly reliable notifications are guaranteed to
arrive normally, but buffer overrun or system issue may cause a few to be
lost.  Perfectly reliable notifications are possible in high-available
systems which duplicate streams of data.  The I2RS WG is not asking for
perfectly reliable data streams.

High-bandwidth:  It is assumed that the pull of a full RIB, full topology
model (all topologies), and a full FB-FIB is possible.  However, the normal
mode is a query of a portion of these models.  As discussed in the 5/27/2015
interim, a full pull may find that portions of the RIB change during the
pull.  Joel Halpern suggest NETCONF may be a better mechanism for the full
dump.  However, the portions of the models - must be reported quickly so
that programmatic changes can be made.

Asynchronous: means that multiple streams of data from different transport
sessions can query/write different portions of any of the I2RS models in
parallel - AND these read/write portions of the model can  operates in
parallel along with pub/sub, traceability.   Writes operate in parallel
operating on portions of the model.  Exact definition of locking of the
portion of a model for a write has been discussed, but this should be
discussed per module.

Real-time guarantees:  Real time guarantees means that the processing and
response must be listed under a certain time per module.  The module can
give general ranges, but the specific definition is left to the
implementation.   I will start a mail thread on these guarantees per module.
My understanding is that we are looking for seconds or sub-second in routes,
portions of topology, and in the filter rule.

I2RS Module information

 ===============================

This node will provide you the unit of focus for the protocol independent
modules (I2RS RIB, I2RS topology, and I2RS Filter-Based RIB Model).    The
I2RS RIB and I2RS Topology have yang modules, and the I2RS Filter-Based RIB
Model has an Information al model so we can provide the unit of focus.
(Hopefully, the I2RS Filter-based RIB Model will have the yang model read by
6/24)

Protocol independent models (info/yang) were developed for BGP, OSPF, ISIS,
MPLS and SFC. These yang modules are being revised and could be reviewed at
the 6/24/2015 interim.  These drafts are in flux so I need to query the mail
list on the use cases, and the authors on their changes.  I can get more
detail by the end of next week so we can talk about it at the 6/24/2015
interim.  Some of the flux is the also base yang modules (as an example BGP)
that impacts derivatives (EVPN, L2VPN, L3VPN).

I have reference the explanation sections in the I2RS drafts.  As a yang
doctor, I hope it is evident which yang language parallel to these sections.
(if not, please post suggestions for corrections so the authors can fix
these drafts).

 Model       Unit                type                              reference
Frequency of reference

=======    ========     ============            =========
===============================

I2RS RIB    Route              main   key unit           section 2.3    high
R/W

                    Next-hop      dependent subunit    section 2.4   high to
medium R/W

                      RIB                 grouping of routes     section 2.2
Initial start-up (mostly R/ some W)

                      RIB list           grouping of RIBS         section
2.1    Initial start-up (mostly R/ some W)

The topology nodes are out for the non-TE version.  TE version will not
arrive until IETF time-frame.

I2RS Topology        Unit             Type           Reference
Frequency of Reference

==============  ========  =======       ===========
===========================

Generic Topology  Node          main unit    section 3.1           R/W or W
from agent data

                                  Link                main unit      section
3.2           R/W or W from agent data

                                     Network    main unit    section 3.1/3.2
R/W or W from Agent

Full pull query

                                  Termination sub-unit   section 3.1

                                    - point

L2 Topology            same as generic              section 2 - see note on
TE additions

L3 Topology           same as generic              section 3.2 for IGP - see
note on TE Additions

Section 3.3 for OSPF

L1 Topology            same as generic                See note: draft being
overhauled to align

to TEAS link & TE models

Service Topology  same as generic               See note:  draft being
overhauled to link to

L3SM style of service topologies

Module:        Unit              Type                       Section
Frequency

========      ======         ======                 ====================
==========

FB-RIB          policy-rule       main unit              section 4.2 info
module    R/W main unit

                      FB-RIB_          Ordered list of     see section
4.1-4.3           R/W policy rule inserted

       ordered-list          filters
into ordered list

       interface-list    ordered list       see section 4.2-4.3
Initial start-up /config

                                 of interface
+ interface status

                                     references

       FB-RIB               RIB group             see section 4.1 to 4.2
Groups policy-rule +

Interfaces

Note on Topology modules

.         All topology will be augment by TE modules with structure in
draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-00  as updated by
https://github.com/ietf-mpls-yang/te.

.         L1 topology draft - will be overhauled based on decision on
ephemeral state (just completed), and the TE drafts which have topology.  It
may take portions of other TEAS drafts (
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saad-teas-yang-te/>
draft-saad-teas-yang-te-01)

.         Service module needs to provide link to work from service.  Only
one service model is being designed:

o   L3SM - protocol independent service module for L3 services
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-l3vpn-service-yang/

o   L2SM - is not yet started.

o   Service forwarding topologies - initial draft done

Notifications                 Status
Timing

-----------------
---------------------------------------------    --------

I2RS RIB                             nexthop-resolution-status-change
second or less

                                            Route-change
second or less

L3 Topology                        igp-node-event
second or less

                                          igp-link-event

                                           igp-prefix-event

                                                igp-termination-point-event

L2 Topology                        TBD - but likely the same)
second or less

                                                (l2-node-event,
l2-link-event, l2-prefix-event,

                                             L2-termination-point-event)

L1 Topology                        TBD- but likely the same
second or less

Service Topology              Unknown - too much in flux

FB-RIB                                   FB-RIB interface loss
second or less

                                                Policy-Rule interface loss
second or less

                                                Policy-Rule
second+

Query/Write

Groupings                  Normal           High
Normal Time      High BW time

---------------------      ----------            ----------------------
-----------------    -------------------

I2RS RIB: Routes      1-10Ks              100K to 1Million        < 1 second
1-5 second

I2RS RIB: RIBs          1-20 RIBs          100-300 RIB                 TBD
TBD

                                  (10K-100K RT)   (10K-100k)

Topology                   1-5K node        not really sure
TBD                        TBD

                                    300-10K links

                                       1K - 50K topology

FB RIB                           1-10K rules        not really sure
<1 second          TBD

*tp = termination point