[i2rs] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 03 July 2020 10:20 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology@ietf.org, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org, i2rs@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 03:20:57 -0700
Subject: [i2rs] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-14: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below a couple on non-blocking COMMENTs (and I would appreciate a
reply to each of my COMMENTs because for some of them I was close to ballot a
DISCUSS).

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

== COMMENTS ==

Generic: is there a reason why the YANG validation results in 19 errors and 4
warnings? Sue Harres (the shepherd) mentions in her write-up that 9 errors are
linked to missing IEEE but what about the 10 remaining errors ?

Has there been a review by IEEE of this YANG model? While the shepherd is
extensive and detailed, there is no mention of a coordination with IEEE.

-- Section 3 --

  "The Layer 2 (L2) network topology YANG module is designed to be
   generic and applicable to Layer 2 networks built with different L2
   technologies."
Is this statement correct? What about LoraWAN, Sigfox, and other LP-WAN
technologies? Or technologies that may be using different MTU sizes on each
direction? or having more parameters than this (such as being NBMA that should
be captured).

Should "sys-mac-address? " rather be "management-mac-address? "

I must admit that I am not familiar with the ietf-topology YANG model, so, the
following COMMENTs can be plain wrong :-( ...

It is unclear to me the difference between 'node' and 'termination-point'. If
not defined in the ietf-topology, then please define before first use (I had to
read the YANG module to understand).

Why is 'ethernet' used rather than 'ieee802', notably to cover IEEE 802.11 ?

While most termination points have a single MAC address, are we sure that no
termination point will ever have more than one MAC address ?

'rate' leaf is in Mbps and with 2 decimals, i.e., the lowest rate is 10 kbps
and this is already higher than some layer-2 links. Any reason to ignore lower
rate links ?

-- Section 4 --
"leaf maximum-frame-size" please specify whether Ethernet pre-amble,
inter-frame gap, and CRC should be included. The text for Ethernet and for PPP
are identical, so, why repeating it ?

== NITS ==

Sometimes 'L2' is used, sometimes 'Layer 2' is used. Not very consistent ;-) I
am not an English speaker, but, I believe 'Layer 2 topology' should be written
'layer-2 topology'