Re: OS specific information

Hank Nussbacher <HANK@taunivm.tau.ac.il> Wed, 29 July 1992 08:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 09:40:21 -0000
From: Hank Nussbacher <HANK@taunivm.tau.ac.il>
Subject: Re: OS specific information
To: Alan Emtage <bajan@bunyip.com>, iafa@cc.mcgill.ca

On Mon, 27 Jul 1992 13:44:54 -0400 you said:
>perceived UNIX-centric nature of the current draft there are a number of
>points:
>
>1) Neither of the principal authors (Peter or myself) have any experience
>with VMS or the other OS's that now support anonymous FTP and therefore
>did not feel qualified to do this. However, we have on several occasions
>asked that those with appropriate the knowledge contribute sections on for
>their platforms. There was no response to these calls, so we have only
>been able to leave the placeholder in the draft document.
>
>-Alan
>
>+1 (514) 398-8117

Just to clear up the sentence of 'There was no response to these calls...":

  From iafa-request@kona.cc.mcgill.ca  Sun May 24 20:58:28 1992
  Date: 	Sun, 24 May 1992 06:11:50 -0400
  From: Hank Nussbacher <HANK@VM.BIU.AC.IL>
  Subject:      Comments on draft IAFA doc
  To: IAFA@cc.mcgill.ca

  I am new to this list so please excuse any comments I make that have already
  been discussed on this list.

  >Mar  2 22:54 1992   Page 1
  >

  >	           	   IAFA-WG
  >		Guide to FTP Site Administration
  >
  >		        DRAFT 92.03.02

  ...lines deleted...

  >In systems with dynamic libraries (eg. SunOS 4.X), a copy of these
  >libraries and certain devices may need also to be created. Consult your
  >documentation.
  >
  >[VMS]
  >
  >[other OS?]

  VM/CMS

  The IBM implementation for anonymous FTP iq quite straightforward.
  In the PROFILE EXEC for the FTPSERVE server machine there is a line
  that is commented out that needs to be altered:

  /*ftp_options = 'RACF TRACE ANONYMOU'    some examples of arguments  */

  By changing the above line to

    ftp_options = 'ANONYMOU'    some examples of arguments

  you will have enabled anonymous FTP.  A user connecting to your system
  via anonymous FTP will not be placed into any default directory but
  rather must issue his own 'cd' to access the necessary directory.
  The user must know in advance which 'cd' to perform since the VM/CMS
  system does not provide any information about where to find searchable
  subdirectories.  Any directory with a read password of ALL (meaning
  publically available), can be connected to, as well as any password
  protected directory, so long as the user knows the correct password.

I will now add an additional section to the one I posted 2 months ago:

  Example:

  From Unix retrieving a file from a VM/CMS system:

  ftp vm.tau.ac.il
  user anonymous