Re: Naming/Format conventions for INDEX files

"Eric A. Anderson" <ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu> Thu, 30 July 1992 19:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1992 07:26:47 -0400
From: "Eric A. Anderson" <ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: iafa@cc.mcgill.ca, de-mirror@informatik.tu-muenchen.de, Peter.Elford@aarnet.edu.au
Subject: Re: Naming/Format conventions for INDEX files

cmf851@cscgpo.anu.edu.au (Albert Langer) writes:
[fixing up listing files]
> I still think it SHOULD have been completely trivial, but with MY
> script skills it grew to an unmanageable mess which I had originally
> intended to polish up a bit at least to the point where it could be
> passed on for somebody else to finish properly, but I eventually abandonded
> it on the assumption that there are better solutions around. (Archie and
> the various mirror sites etc MUST have solved these problems by now...)
What should have been and what are are two different things.  I agree
that it should have been straightforward.  On the other hand, having
written the archie filter to make the listings files pass though the
enter program I have a new understanding of how messed up people's
software can be.  The biggest problem I had was with error output and
normal output getting intermixed.
For everyone interested, the filter is available as
ftp.sura.net:/pub/archie/software/filt.pl
It works on every site that the SURAnet archie server indexes.
          -Eric
"Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."
           -The Nine Billion Names of God
"Yes, you're very smart.  Shut up."
           -In "The Princess Bride"