Re: [iccrg] [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-05.txt

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Thu, 18 February 2021 12:34 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 13:34:02 +0100
Cc: Kuhn Nicolas <nicolas.kuhn@cnes.fr>, roca <vincent.roca@inria.fr>, iccrg IRTF list <iccrg@irtf.org>, "nwcrg@irtf.org" <nwcrg@irtf.org>
To: Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com>
Subject: Re: [iccrg] [nwcrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-nwcrg-coding-and-congestion-05.txt

Hi all,

Interesting questions, thanks!  A bit difficult to answer, too… I hope my co-authors have ideas  ;-)

I’m intrigued by one in particular, down below:

> On Feb 17, 2021, at 6:47 PM, Marie-Jose Montpetit <marie@mjmontpetit.com> wrote:
>
> Ok so let me add to Vincent’s detailed comments with more generic ones some of the information exists - it may just need to be re-organized.
> - This is an IRTF document how is this relating to current research and where?
> - CC and NC are essentially two competing control loops - there is a lot of heritage on that topic (outside networking too) - what can NC/CC learn from that - any research questions?
> - My experience with NC is that the most gains are in low loss networks (far from network capacity) - where in fact CC protocols over react- is there research on appropriate metrics?

*low* loss, far from network capacity? Why would a CC mechanism over-react? When it’s far from the capacity, there’s nothing to react upon… did you mean that they are too cautious and flows terminate before even reaching the capacity limit?  I can imagine this being an interesting scenario for coding indeed, but I’d like to understand if this is what you meant.

Cheers,
Michael