Re: [icnrg] Some thoughts on architectural choices for Manifests

"David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Fri, 07 August 2020 13:56 UTC

From: "David R. Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: Marc Mosko <mmosko@parc.com>
Cc: christian.tschudin@unibas.ch, ICNRG <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 09:56:23 -0400
Subject: Re: [icnrg] Some thoughts on architectural choices for Manifests

On 6 Aug 2020, at 16:37, Marc Mosko wrote:

> Here are a few comments responding to topics from both Dave and
> Christian.
>
> FLIC describes a single file.  No.  By definition, FLIC must always
> describe two files: the manifest and the data.
Modulo some degree of discomfort using the term “file” as an
abbreviation of “file-like object”, I agree with Marc here.

> We choose to make those descriptions use the same data structure. We
> also choose that
> when reading a manifest, a reader does not know which pointers belong
> to which sub-tree until it actually fetches a pointer (unless there
> are annotations).
I think this is right, however isn’t it a good idea to enforce a
canonical ordering so that you don’t need application knowledge to
re-assemble the pieces of an object in the right order (or are you only
referring to non-leaf manifests pieces)?

> We choose that a node in the tree must be
> either a manifest node or a data node, not a hybrid node.
That seems sensible simplification.

> The manifest sub-tree is really just a
> FLIC representation of the manifest file and the data sub-tree (it's
> not so much a tree as the in-order traversal of leaf pointers) is a
> representation of the data file.
So, looking at my above comment in the context of this sentence we are
saying the manifest ensures that there is a canonical ordering of leaf
manifests, and in leaf manifests, the order of the pointers is congruent
with the order of the pointed-to data bytes, right?

> In some FLIC arrangements, this can be made explicit.  For example, my
> root manifest has two hash groups.  One group pointing to the manifest
> tree and the second points to the data leaves.  Or, as is more common,
> they are just mixed I one hash group.

Seems fine. Might there be advantages (either in flexibility or
simplicity) in separating them?

> Inlining: Yes!  One use case we had for this was when someone wants to
> re-publish a manifest object (e.g. a content distributor wants to
> point its subscribers to local caches via locators), it would
> encapsulate the original root manifest in its re-written one so the
> consumer can verify in one step that they (a) got the thing they were
> asking for (from the interior manifest) and that someone they trust
> for such things (e.g. their ISP) tells them a good place to fetch it
> from.

Good.

> Simplifying: I would be OK taking out all the namespace stuff, but
> allowing extensions at the Node level (i.e. top level of each manifest
> inside the security context) so a publisher could put in a NameCreator
> element (or any other valid extension) if it so chooses.
I’m not convinced this is a good tradeoff - I’ll be posting another
message explaining (indirectly) why I think Name Constructors should be
part of the base.

> Otherwise, the process of
> forming an Interest is implicit in the application or someone just has
> to guess.  I would then suggest we immediately publish two extensions,
> one for hash-based naming (ccnx) and one for segmented naming (ndn).

Generally, if you think something will wind up used a significant
fraction of the time, it is much friendlier to the developers to have it
in one document rather than sprinkled in multiple, especially if you
think they ought to progress though review in lock-step. I think that is
likely the case here, as we are not somehow doing extensions after the
fact that we didn’t think of when we finalized the first version of
this.

> To go along with the simplification, maybe we could define a range of
> Ts that define hash groups.  There's nothing technically different
> about the hashgroups, just having say 16 values that are all HashGroup
> that allows the app to assign its own app meanings.
It seems good future-proofing to allow app extensions via “app-private
hashgroups”, but se my later observation below. I would hope that we
can cover the common cases directly using ICNRG specified things, just
as a number of name component types are standardized in RFC8569 since we
“know” they are useful generally.

> This would allow the NameCreator
> extension to specify different rules for different HashGroup types, or
> a private producer could have their own secret rules for different
> HashGroup types.  This allows an app to use different NameCreator
> approaches for the manifest file and the data file.   It's like being
> able to use typed name components so an app can have its own rules.

There is a certain danger in this if we expect to have manifests widely
used by “third parties” other than the producer and consumer of a
particular app. I also would like to stress the comment I made earlier
that permitting large random amounts of application “metadata” to
find their way into Manifests can be deleterious for both security and
rational namespace design. I am fairly wedded to the notion that the
only thing that belongs in Manifests are things that allow elements that
fetch, store, or cache content to correctly fetch large objects (and in
my view also be able to iterate over collections), and to do so without
any private knowledge of application semantics.

> Marc

DaveO.

> [...]
>     >     applications of the same data
>     >  *  It’s up to application “magic” using either namespace
> conventions or some separate
>     >     discovery machinery to figure out what Name to use in an
> Interest to fetch a FLIC
>     >     manifest (or piece thereof).
>     >  *  We don’t need extension mechanisms, since an application
> can just make up its own
>     >     manifest format by modifying FLIC as needed - the code will
> just “follow” the app
>     >     in the same way that iNode formats are closely bound to the
> particular filesystem
>     >     built on top.
>     >
>     > If you find the above exposition at all convincing, I think
> there are a number of
>     > possible ways forward. Let me try to enumerate them:
>     >
>     >  1. Define FLIC as limited to the above, and punt anything else
> for “later”.
>     >  2. Keep the current FLIC design, but build in some
> extensibility features (but don’t
>     >     define any extensions now). This would include at a minimum
> a versioning scheme and
>     >     some TLVs so additional things other than pointer arrays of
> hashes can be
>     >     expressed.
>     >  3. Define FLIC as above, but instead make it an “interior”
> data structure of a more
>     >     general Manifest format that we work on in parallel. That
> more general data
>     >     structure would encompass the stuff we have currently put in
> the base FLIC
>     >     Manifest. A good design would allow the FLIC manifest to
> either be embedded inside
>     >     the general Manifest, or externally referenced via one of
> the pointers.
>     >  4. Continue down the current path, by having one general
> Manifest format that is
>     >     extensible and contains the features we considered
> important, like Name Construtors
>     >     and annotated pointers.
>     >
>     > In addition to the above, I think any general Manifest format
> should allow direct
>     > embedding of content objects to handle the cases of simple small
> data (e.g. IoT sensors
>     > etc.) so fetch doesn’t require extra RTTs. This might be
> useful even in the case of
>     > FLIC, to allow the same primitive data object to either be
> fetched independently, or
>     > with Manifest, and the signature bound to the manifest rather
> than the data object,
>     > making re-signing independent of the original data producer
> code.
>     >
>     > I have my own views on which of these directions we should
> pursue, but for the purposes
>     > of this email the question I’d like to ask is whether the
> taxonomy above is a good way
>     > to think about this and are there other options for how to

DaveO