Re: [icnrg] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wissingh-icnrg-terminology-01.txt

christian.tschudin@unibas.ch Wed, 22 March 2017 06:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 07:06:08 +0100
From: christian.tschudin@unibas.ch
To: Boubakr NOUR <n.boubakr@bit.edu.cn>
cc: icnrg@irtf.org, "Wissingh, B.F. (Bastiaan)" <bastiaan.wissingh@tno.nl>
Subject: Re: [icnrg] FW: New Version Notification for draft-wissingh-icnrg-terminology-01.txt

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017, Boubakr NOUR wrote:

> In the following draft (Information-Centric Networking (ICN): Terminology), I found the
> following paragraph, I am confusing about the Name-Content binding phase.
>
> “In ICN, verification of a data packet’s name-to-content binding is achieved through
> cryptographic means, either by (1) a cryptographic signature that explicitely binds an
> application-chosen name to a data packet’s content, or (2) relying on an implicit name
> (cryptographic hash of the data packet) that the data consumer obtained through other means.”
>
> Is this means that the same content with different names should have the same signature or
> hash. Is the cryptographic signature/hash applied only on content without taking in
> consideration other parameters such us: name itself, owner of content, timestamps…?

No: as soon as one element changes, so will the signature as well as the
packet's implicit name because both cover the whole packet.

But this is ok: what remains a constant in this picture of moving parts
is the trust model, for example the key used to sign the packet; or the
trust in the source from where the hash value of the packet was obtained
(an example source could be a manifest, which would be signed).

best, christian