Re: Watershed.

Mike StJohns <stjohns@umd5.umd.edu> Mon, 24 August 1992 03:16 UTC

To: "Daniel J. Bernstein" <brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu>
Cc: ident@NRI.Reston.VA.US, iesg@venera.isi.edu, vcerf@NRI.Reston.VA.US, stjohns@umd5.umd.edu
Subject: Re: Watershed.
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1992 23:17:19 -0400
From: Mike StJohns <stjohns@umd5.umd.edu>

*sheesh*

Dan --

Since you obviously have no idea of how this works.

1) I submit something as an ID - I simultaneously ask the Security Area
director and the IESG to consider it for standardization.

2) The ID is "published" relatively quickly - say within a day, the
IESG will take a bit longer, say 2-3 weeks, depending on their "meeting"
schedule.

3) Once the IESG decides to move the thing forward, they ask for a last call
- that's the 2 week notice you see on the IETF list. (Hmm.. maybe that should
be IAB/IESG)

4) Assuming no "real" objections - the IAB announces the standard action.

So my "short notice" in not really a short notice - its based on the
time I know it takes to get the stuff through the IESG.

WRT to which draft - I'll personally send you a copy of the message we've
been discussing - its the one with the OCTET as default character set
changes in it.  Did you miss it?

I've been twiddling with the editing of the document for the last week -
the manual pages I have for MS/TROFF don't match up with the programs
on the machine on which I'm trying to format the bloody thing to bring
it into RFC style compliance.

All this and trying to deal with reality too.

Mike