[nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk (Nigel Metheringham): Re: TAP/RFC931 support for Smail 3.1.26 ]

Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com> Fri, 28 August 1992 15:45 UTC

To: ident@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: [nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk (Nigel Metheringham): Re: TAP/RFC931 support for Smail 3.1.26 ]
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1992 11:45:29 -0400
From: Stephen D Crocker <crocker@tis.com>

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 92 16:41:26 +0000
From: nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk (Nigel Metheringham)
To: neal@ctd.comsat.com (Neal Becker)
Subject: Re: TAP/RFC931 support for Smail 3.1.26
Cc: crocker@TIS.COM, rfc931-users@KRAMDEN.ACF.NYU.EDU

> Thanks!  I see that the patch for smail uses libauth.  This
> will work OK with identd?

The patche used libauth simply because the only other library there
is (unless its well hidden) is marked as being a preliminary
beta-test.

As I understand it RFC931 begat Ident which is much the same, but
slightly more baroque (although its still a nice small RFC).  TAP is
the attempt for Ident to get back to its roots - a good simplified
minimalistic version of Ident.  However they all basically respond to
a query of the form

  <localport>, < foreignport>
and return
  <localport> , <foreignport> : USERID : <systemtype> : <conn-info>

The rub is that ident could theoretically return almost anything as
the conn-info (for most cases read username - although some sites
return an encrypted username which they can decode - they just don't
want to publish the information).  TAP implementations are intended
to be a little more lenient with their return values (ie no wierd
characters in the conn-info).

To return to the question, the libauth library will work agains any
of the ident implementations, however it does no special processing
on the returned conn-info, and neither does my patch.  If someone
puts all sorts of junk in that field then something could break (ie 8
bit characters in the Received header of the message).

The question is, should I patch the patch to defend against oddities
in the server response, and what should that entail?

	Nigel.

------- End of Forwarded Message