Re: UTF-8 in Internet Drafts (was Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt)

Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org> Thu, 31 October 2002 12:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:04:58 +0900
To: Mark Davis <mark@macchiato.com>, Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>, idn@ops.ietf.org, Mark Davis <mark.davis@jtcsv.com>, Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in Internet Drafts (was Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt)
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

I have to fully agree with Mark. Getting the policy changed would
be great. For James' document, the us-ascii version is just a bunch
of numbers. No help to those who
don't know Chinese characters, and no help to those who do. Just
a waste of bits and paper, even if the topic may be
important and interesting.

I also was asked to put a lot of examples into draft-duerst-iri.
Very tough indeed, because these would have to be non-ASCII examples.

I think as a first step, the IETF should start to accept drafts
in parallel in US-ASCII and UTF-8 (the later with an extension of
.tx8 or so). I'm very sure both Mark and me would be ready to help
the IETF and the secretariat to get there.

I also had some discussions with Marshal Rose in Yokohama to
extend the XML2RFC format a bit so that 'the right thing' would
happen for both versions. We didn't get very far yet, but
should pick it up again.

Regards,    Martin.