Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt

Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org> Thu, 31 October 2002 16:27 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:15:14 -0800
To: idn@ops.ietf.org
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
Subject: Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

At 3:07 PM +0900 10/31/02, Martin Duerst wrote:
>Can you (or somebody else) tell us where the right place is?

The right place should be ietf@ietf.org. I say "should" because that
is the proper forum, not because I am suggesting that you take this
debate there. It has been discussed repeatedly there, with no
resolution. You could bring it there, of course; if you do, it would
be polite if you read the archives first. Note that being polite is
at all a proven requirement for the IETF discussion list...

>Also, it seems that this WG has a much clearer need than many/
>most WGs on this issue,

It is, as far as I can tell, the *only* WG that has any need. The
other value of UTF-8 Internet Drafts is that document authors can
spell their names correctly. (For those not following closely, Martin
actually does not have a "ue" in his last name, and Patrik actually
does not have either an "a" or an "o" in his last name.)

>  and so it may be helpful to document
>that need clearly enough as a need of the WG, rather than as
>an idea of some individuals.

Well, you have to define "need". It might be difficult to do
U+xxxx-to-visual mapping for the draft in question, but is that
really a "need"? It is rude for you and Patrik and many others to
have to misspell your name in the documents you write, but is that
really a "need"? Needs and desires are quite different things.

My suggestion is that you simply write up a carefully-scoped Internet
Draft on the topic and submit it. Be sure to have a mailing list for
the draft, and be sure to invite at least a few ADs to the list early
on. Starting a "discussion" on the IETF mailing list is 99.9% assured
to go nowhere without an Internet Draft behind it. With an Internet
Draft, you have a greater chance of success.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium