Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24

gkushmer@jade.tufts.edu Sat, 20 June 1992 22:01 UTC

To: vlad@erg.sri.com
Cc: jbvb@ftp.com, thakur@zerkalo.harvard.edu, idpr-wg@bbn.com, com-priv@psi.com
Subject: Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1992 17:51:53 -0400
From: gkushmer@jade.tufts.edu
Sender: gkushmer@jade.tufts.edu
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

I know this is getting off the point of com-priv, but as this discussion
covers a large area, I feel I must say this for the record:

You said:

> If so, please do the following. Please go to your nearest non-classified
> IBM (or DEC or SUN or whatever) facility, sign in and then keep on walking
> without allowing anybody to accompany you. If you see a guard - ignore him.
> If he orders you to stop - keep on going. When he starts shooting - just
> duck. :-) Please ask your next of kin (in advance) to report the
> outcome to me.

Having worked security at DEC (I was young and needed the work :-) I can
tell you that a DEC-Classified area does not have armed security agents.
Moreover, armed security agents may NOT under ANY circumstances restrict
your movements.  To do so is to put one under "arrest" in the technical
sense.  This is illegal and a violation of your civil rights.

Anyone not a representative of the law (viz. a police officer or a deputy)
who does retrict your movements can in turn be arrested on a number of
counts.  Security guards are told up front to call for the police and then
follow the intruder through the facility.  The bottom line is to
let the police do any arresting.  This reduces corporate liability by
leaps and bounds.

The same can not be said at a government installation where you can be
shot in some areas.  Usually, though, guards are unarmed.

Sorry if this seems to waste bandwidth - follow up to me on email or some
usenet site if you feel it necessary to respond.

--gk

|  5,397 miles      |
|     - to -        |     THE FIRST AMENDMENT states that members of re-
|   WALL DRUG       |     ligious groups, no matter how small or unpopular,
|                   |     shall have the right to hassle you in airports
|WALL, SOUTH DAKOTA |
|     U.S.A.        |                            -Dave Barry-
**Sign In Amsterdam**