Re: Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24

Tim Salo <tjs@msc.edu> Fri, 19 June 1992 20:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 15:16:20 -0500
From: Tim Salo <tjs@msc.edu>
To: vlad@erg.sri.com
Subject: Re: Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24
Cc: com-priv@psi.com, idpr-wg@bbn.com

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 92 12:02:18 -0700
> From: vlad@erg.sri.com
> 	[...]
> Moreover, if you are upset about the US government security policies,
> please complain to your Senator. This public lynching that I have received
> for trying to conduct research and hold seminars while not breaking
> any laws, is ridiculous.
> 	[...]
> However, if you do not like the fact that almost all money,
> that we spend in this country on research, comes through DoD and
> DoE, then please call your Congressman and ask him to imitate Japan and
> spend some taxpayers' money funding non-military industrial research.
> 	[...]

I guite agree.

These are, in fact, issues about which we ought to be concerned.  However,
while the tactic of lynching the first person who vaguely resembles the
evil of the moment has been tried on a number of ocassions, it is
usually not very productive.  Furthermore, depending upon how literally
the person is lynched, the action is usually at least considered bad form.

-tjs