Re: [Idr] draft-xie-idr-bgpls-sr-vtn-mt-03.txt - Call for WG adoption: 12/18/2021 to 1/7/2022

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Wed, 22 December 2021 07:42 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: "peng.shaofu@zte.com.cn" <peng.shaofu@zte.com.cn>, "shares@ndzh.com" <shares@ndzh.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 07:42:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-xie-idr-bgpls-sr-vtn-mt-03.txt - Call for WG adoption: 12/18/2021 to 1/7/2022

Your above statement is groundless and irrelevant to this adoption poll.

The VPN+ framework was adopted by TEAS WG more than 2 years ago, and the IETF network slice draft refers to VPN+ as an approach to realize IETF network slices. If you want to discuss the relationship between VPN+ and network slicing, there was a thread in TEAS mail list.

> 2) Should IDR recommend the global VTN-ID?
> The IDR chairs understood that VTN-ID is not required for this draft if MT-IDs
> are managed by administrative control.   However, we know that the global
> IDs are useful for inter-domain usage.   So, let’s break down the responses
> to question 2 two steps:
> 1) Requirement:  all of you feel we should have a global ID representing
> MT-IDs managed by IANA.
> 2) You differ on the name and mechanisms
>
> [PSF] We need a global ID, but it is not VTN-ID, nor AII, I suggest using NRP-ID
> that we have reached more consensus.

It has been clarified that the use cases and mechanism in this document does not rely on a global ID (no matter what you call it).

If you want to discuss the global ID based mechanisms, please do it on another thread.

> If I have summarized this correctly, then we may want to pick up the global
> ID as a separate and orthogonal discussion.  We will start another email
> thread on global ID topic.   The two drafts referenced are:
> ·         draft-dong-idr-bgpls-sr-enhanced-vpn-03.txt – provides a BGP
> specific description for VTN-ID (Jie and Chongfeng)
> ·         draft-peng-teas-network-slicing-04.txt on describes use cases
> siting BGP-LS and some general terms on AII (Shaofu)
> To provide a constructive discussion, the Shaofu needs to provide a clear BGP
> description on the BGP-LS feature that can be handle.  The TEAS draft is not
> written to provide a clear BGP feature description.
> Please let me know if I have summarized your requirements and your desire
> for further discussion.
>
> [PSF] Although draft-peng-teas-network-slicing-04.txt firstly proposed the
> need to introduce global slice-related identifier into the network, based on
> the comments of the TEAS chairs, it is merged to
> draft-bestbar-teas-ns-packet-05 for the purpose to quickly converge the
> scheme.  Please see draft-chen-idr-bgp-ls-transport-slice for the
> corresponding BGP-LS for NRP.
> [PSF] Other comments for this draft:
> i) The sentence
> "the resource-aware segments can be used to build SR based VTNs with the
> required
>    network topology and network resource attributes to support enhanced
>    VPN services."
> should be updated, because a set of segments can not represent a network.
> It like marketing words.

Saying something is "marketing" without concrete comment is not constructive.

A set of resource-aware segments can be used to represent the links and nodes and the subset of resources allocated on them, thus they together builds an SR based virtual underlay network.

> ii) As this document clearly states that it describe corresponding BGP-LS
> mechanisms for [I-D.ietf-lsr-isis-sr-vtn-mt], then section "2.2.  Inter-Domain
> Topology Advertisement" should be removed. The content of this section is
> irelated with draft-lsr, and especially, it is challenge to advertise an IGP MT-ID
> for inter-domain links.

This document is based on the BGP-LS mechanisms, which can be used to distribute both the intro-domain link states and also the inter-domain connectivity and attributes.

MT-ID was introduced in IGP first, then MT-ID TLV is introduced in BGP-LS, nothing prevents its usage on the inter-domain links for the connection of multiple domains under the same administration.

Best regards,
Jie