Re: [Idr] draft-rosen-idr-aigp-00

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Tue, 24 March 2009 17:54 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:55:29 -0700
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "Pradosh Mohapatra (pmohapat)" <pmohapat@cisco.com>
Cc: idr <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-rosen-idr-aigp-00

Hi Pradosh,

 > 1) MED alone is not a good tool since the MED comparison step
 >    is after AS_PATH length comparison.

Correct. That is why I proposed to use it along with cost communities.

 > 2) Cost community is an extended community which is optional
 >    transitive. We want to make the attribute non-
 >    transitive to restrict its scope of propagation.

Transitiveness should be discussed in the scope. Ext community attribute
is transitive within the domain. Inter-domain high-order type field
decides if this should be transitive or not at the AS boundary.

Cost community is not transitive.

Exactly as required :).

The BGP Cost Community

    The BGP Cost Community is an Opaque Extended Community [EXT_COMM]
    defined as follows:

       Type Field:

          The value of the high-order octet of the extended Type Field is
          0x43, which indicates it is non-transitive. The value of the
          low-order octet of the extended type field for this community
          is TBD.

Cheers,
R.