Re: [Idr] draft-rosen-idr-aigp-00

Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net> Sun, 29 March 2009 00:46 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:47:33 -0700
From: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>
To: "UTTARO, JAMES, ATTLABS" <uttaro@att.com>
Cc: idr <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-rosen-idr-aigp-00

Hi Jim,

I think there are few things which would be great to keep in mind no
matter how this proposal will move forward.

* I think that making new attribute is clean indeed, but a bit risky to
touch your best path selection algorithm each time new attribute is
invented to influence best path decision.

* As defined today AIGP attribute carries an unreferenced sigma of
metrics. In my opinion it should be referenced by the start point of the
accumulation which most obviously would be the originator next hop. Best
path should compare only those AIGP attributes with original next hop
attached to be equal. Otherwise in deployments in other customer
networks when AIGP support is partial in the mesh of ASes it is quite
obvious that it may lead to permanent loops. Any encapsulation (even
mpls) on a per AS basis will not be a cure at all.

* And to the point you made ... cost community where designed to be
common tool to modify the best path selection on as needed basis. Do you
have a different opinion on cost community applicability ? Their design
is exactly as you require in your case. Yes it would need to accumulate
MEDs metrics on the AS boundaries, but this is the same as adding new
values to the new to be deployed AIGP attribute.

Best regards,
R.