Re: [Idr] draft on virtual aggregation

Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu> Tue, 15 July 2008 16:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:15:34 -0400
From: Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu>
To: Daniel Ginsburg <dg@ot-e.biz>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft on virtual aggregation
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

inline

Ok.

> >> Section 4.3:
> >>  >    Likewise, routers can bootstrap VA by first bringing up the
> IGP,
> >> then
> >>  >    establish LSPs, then establish routes to all required sub-
> >> prefixes,
> >>  >    and then finally advertise VPs.
> >>
> >> Hmm, wouldn't delayed VP advertisement require non-APR routers to
> >> temporary install all the specific prefixes? If so, FIB overflow
> might
> >> occur. Some platforms react badly to such cases (i.e. overloading
> CPU,
> >> starving routing protocols and possibly crash), so it may
> destabilize
> >> the network.
> >
> > Very nice catch!  I think the only good way to fix this is to require
> that
> > all VA routers be statically configured with the complete set of VPs.
> It is
> > easy to conjure up scenarios where a router simply won't know all the
> VPs at
> > the point in time at which it needs to start loading up its FIB.  If
> the
> > router statically knows all the VPs, then it has a basis for deciding
> which
> > FIB entries to suppress, and avoiding FIB overflow.
> >

> Hmm, now if both APRs and non-APR are statically configured with VPs,
> what's left to the proposed protocol extension?

Heh!  Will have to think about this.  But maybe in fact we don't need the
extension.  For instance, say an ISP wants to configure a new VP.  It would
first configure the APRs for that VP, which would start advertising the VP
route (without the new attribute, but with NO_EXPORT).  Subsequently, it
could reconfigure the non-APRs (one by one) so that they now know that the VP
is in fact a VP, and could start suppressing sub-prefixes...off-hand seems
ok...

PF