Re: Private draft submission

mpw@anyweb.ch Tue, 09 November 1999 13:46 UTC

Subject: Re: Private draft submission
To: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex@virgin.relcom.eu.net>
Cc: black@layer8.net, danny@ice.ip.qwest.net, idr@merit.edu, pst@juniper.net, wrath@cs.umbc.edu, idr@merit.edu
From: mpw@anyweb.ch
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 14:49:27 +0100
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

Alex,

I have an URL for the last one:

http://www.co.rnp.br/documentos/draft-ietf-idr-symm-multi-prov-02.txt

but I am also intersted in the first two ones!!
I tried to find them but no way :-(

--Mike

Mike Portworsnick        Network Engineer
AnyWeb AG           CCIE# 4985
Switzerland              mpw@anyweb.ch

                    "Alex P. Rudnev"
                    <alex@virgin.relc        To:     Ben Black <black@layer8.net>
                    om.eu.net>               cc:     Vijay Gill <wrath@cs.umbc.edu>, Paul Traina <pst@juniper.net>,
                    Sent by:                 danny@ice.ip.qwest.net, idr@merit.edu
                    owner-idr@merit.e        Subject:     Re: Private draft submission
                    du

                    11/09/99 02:29 PM

Ben, have you found this already?

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Ben Black wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:04:45 -0800
> From: Ben Black <black@layer8.net>
> To: Vijay Gill <wrath@cs.umbc.edu>
> Cc: Paul Traina <pst@juniper.net>, danny@ice.ip.qwest.net, idr@merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Private draft submission
>
> Anyone have copies of the DPA drafts around?
>
> Destination Preference Attribute for BGP
>         <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-dpa-05.txt>
>
> Application of the BGP Destination Preference Attribute in Implementing
> Symmetric Routing
>         <draft-ietf-idr-dpa-application-02.txt>
>
> Current Practice of Implementing Symmetric Routing and Load Sharing in
the
> Multi-Provider Internet
>         <draft-ietf-idr-symm-multi-prov-02.txt>
>
> They may offer an option which can be implemented entirely within the
> existing framework.
>
> On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 02:55:20PM -0500, Vijay Gill wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Paul Traina wrote:
> >
> > > Simple facts of life wrt. bgp metrics:
> > >
> > > (a) we don't change the tie breaking algorithm
> > > (b) any "metric" is taken as advisory, and said metric
> > >     should become a modifier to the LOCAL_PREF attribute
> > >     generated by the ingress router to an AS.
> > >

> > > So, if we were to do Vadim's old proposal of a vector of preference
> > > metrics, we'd get:
> > >
> > >     LOCAL_PREF += SUM(k1p1, k2p2, k3p3, k4p4, k5p5)
> > >
> > > where the Ks are scaler multipliers looked up in a table based upon
> > > AS number's.
> > >
> > > The big thing to realize is that all of this stuff just changes
> > > local_pref.  Changing the tie breaking logic at this point is
> > > insanity.
> >
> > No one is disagreeing on that one.
> >
> > We just need to push something that is workable and consisent and I
think
> > vadim's draft is about as useful as anything I've seen in here. Thats
for
> > sure.
> >
> > /vijay
> >

> --
>  --b

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41,
N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)