Re: [Idr] Brian Haberman's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-18: (with COMMENT)

<rob.shakir@bt.com> Fri, 06 March 2015 20:59 UTC

From: rob.shakir@bt.com
To: shares@ndzh.com, brian@innovationslab.net, iesg@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:59:34 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: idr@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-error-handling.all@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Brian Haberman's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-18: (with COMMENT)

Hi Sue,

You remember correct ‹ there were a number of issues that occurred around
the time that this document got started (I presented about them at NANOG
51 ‹ http://www.slideshare.net/robjs/bgp-error-handling-nanog-51), and I
also edited the requirements document for this work (which is in GROW ‹
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling
-07).

We also wrote up some recommendations based on the original AS4_PATH
incident (which triggered draft-scudder-idr-optional-transitive) which
were on NANOG and IDR -
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2009-January/006816.html and
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/msg03546.html.

The reason that I think the 2119 wording is in there (and is still
appropriate) is that there are complexities that are introduced
operationally with this mechanism that did not occur before. The previous
behaviour of a failed session makes a bunch of noise, and hence the issue
can be diagnosed and examined. With the treat-as-withdraw approach it¹s
critical for operators to be able to determine when malformed UPDATEs are
being received, and that sufficient information is given to the operator
to resolve the problem. If we do not have these mechanisms, prefixes are
being withdrawn via an (otherwise working) session - with the operator
having no clue this is happening. Needless to say, this would be
undesirable, and hence to avoid it, these recommendations are made.

r.

[06/03/2015 20:48, "Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com>]