Re: [Idr] 4-byte AS community encoding (was re: wide communities)

Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com> Mon, 26 July 2010 17:10 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:10:36 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com>
To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] 4-byte AS community encoding (was re: wide communities)

Hi Jeff,

Putting flexible communities aside I really see very little development
difference in providing support for the quoted draft encoding vs wide
BGP community encoding.

It is just wide BGP community seems more flexible and less nested then
what has been proposed in yr draft with the exact same parsing/matching
simplicity in both. That is assuming that we are just talking about
simple customer assigned local values.

I see no particular value of having customers forced to go via any
intermittent step :).

And as discussed at the meeting today for that very purpose decoupling
encoding from filling the registry for the actual recognized values
seems a wise idea.

So what I propose we could do two things .. merge the drafts or have
customers and WG pick the more preferred one :) I will split my current
one and re-post after IETF and let's then resume the conversation.

What do you think ?

Cheers,
R.