Re: [Idr] 4-byte AS community encoding (was re: wide communities)

Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com> Mon, 26 July 2010 13:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:39:14 +0200
From: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com>
To: idr@ietf.org, jhaas@pfrc.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] 4-byte AS community encoding (was re: wide communities)

Jeff,

I was aware about the below draft, but it's proposed encoding has few
serious disadvantages as compared with the encoding in Wide BGP
Community draft.

Let me list those:

1. It uses extended community type of extended communities rather then
regular type - the consequence of this deep nesting is loosing one octet
of action field which may be of real value. Today I have two uses of
actions and today I have heard comments proposing additional value about
drop flag at AS boundary even if it is supported.

2. This draft is based on RFC 5668 4-Octet AS Specific BGP Extended
Community which explicitly says in it's section 3:

    Therefore, for backward compatibility with existing deployments and
    to avoid inconsistencies between 2-octet and 4-octet specific
    extended communities, Autonomous Systems that use 2-octet Autonomous
    System numbers SHOULD use 2-octet AS specific extended communities
    rather than 4-octet AS specific extended communities.

But regardless of this mandate text of the RFC the draft in it's current
form still tries to use it for both 2-octet AS and 4-octet ASes. To
follow RFC 5668 and base BGP communities encoding on it we would still
use standard BGP communities for 2 octet ASes and this extended
community of extended type for 4 octet AS.

I find it much cleaner to define a new regular type and propose clear
semantics allowing for 4 octets and 2 octets ASes to be encoded.

Also last but not least the draft
dhrao-idr-4octet-extcomm-generic-subtype does not define a notion of AS
specific communities which clearly may have good applications even at
customer-ISP boundary.

Thx,
R.