[Idr] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 15 December 2022 09:19 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext@ietf.org, idr-chairs@ietf.org, idr@ietf.org, shares@ndzh.com, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, shares@ndzh.com, tim@qacafe.com
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 01:19:20 -0800
Subject: [Idr] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-12: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-12: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-12
CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

Special thanks to Susan Hares for the shepherd's detailed write-up including
the WG consensus *and* the justification of the intended status.

Other thanks to Timothy Winters, the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request), please consider this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-12-intdir-telechat-winters-2022-12-07/

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## COMMENTS

### Section 3.1

I second John's point on the lack of specification for the Flag field. This
document does not specify how to interpret the values. It happens that the
IS-IS and OSPFv3 specify a 16-bit value with currently the same semantic
associated to the 16-bit but I fear that this is quite dangerous to have the
*same* field specified in several documents. Strongly suggest creating a IANA
registry for this 16-bit field shared by (at least) 3 IETF drafts.

The same comment applies to many other values in the document.

### Section 4.2

Suggest to replace the very specific "LAN" to the broader "broadcast link" ?

### Section 5.1

```
   As specified in [RFC8986], an SRv6 SID comprises Locator, Function
   and Argument parts.
```
Does the above text assume that *all* SIDs are network programming SIDs ?
Suggest to qualify as in "a network programming SRv6 DIS"

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments