RE: [Ieprep] IAA charter item query

"GOLDMAN, STUART O (STUART)" <sgoldman@lucent.com> Thu, 06 October 2005 16:15 UTC

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O (STUART)" <sgoldman@lucent.com>
To: Eric Brunner-Williams at a VSAT somewhere <brunner@nic-naa.net>, Ieprep@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IAA charter item query
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:14:45 -0500
Sender: ieprep-bounces@ietf.org

Eric,

Like everyone else on the planet, I was glued to the TV during the resent disaster in New Orleans.

There were a number of occasions where the victim being interviewed said they had lost touch with family members and used the TV broadcast as an opportunity to send a message saying where they were now and how they could be contacted by the missing family members. As I watched this exchange a number of times, each time I was reminded of the ""I Am Alive" capability database that still is not in existence  in the US.

Having said that, it is my understanding that such a capability would entail the ability to post location/status type of data about individuals on a database that could be queried by the public. Perhaps the posting might need to be done by an agency such as the Red Cross in the US, to avoid malicious postings. (Mickey Mouse is OK, or worse, fraudulent information).

If that understanding is basically correct, then it would seem to me that neither the posting nor the querying of the database, while important to the participants, is of a nature that it would need preference over other traffic, such as the communications from First Responders require.  If it sufficient to support this capability with the same level of service as provided for ordinary communications, does the effort then fall on just developing the capability, which may not need any special accommodations in the IP space, or am I missing something?

Stu Goldman
Lucent Technologies
5531 E. Kelton LN
Scottsdale,AZ 85254