[ietf-822] A "Reaction" strawman to throw into the mix

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Fri, 30 October 2020 05:49 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: ietf-822@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 00:49:21 -0500
Subject: [ietf-822] A "Reaction" strawman to throw into the mix

I scribbled this up in about 20 minutes, stealing a couple of pieces
from Dave's document. If people think there is any use in considering
this approach, I'll write it up as a proper draft. Otherwise, I'm happy
to drop it. It seems more elegant to me than either the header field or
the Content-Disposition proposals, simply because it reuses existing
pieces of infrastructure that seem to fit this use, but to paraphrase
the old saying: elegance and a $1.85 will get you a cup of Starbucks
coffee. If nobody is interested, I'm happy to support the
Content-Disposition approach; seems reasonable. But just in case, for
your perusal:

----

Message Reaction

Abstract

This specification provides protocol for an MUA to send a user
"reaction" in response to a message, and for an MUA to receive and
display to a user a received "reaction", by extending the Message
Disposition Notification [RFC8098] to include a "reaction" disposition
type and appropriate instructions for its use.

1. Introduction

Blah blah blah

2. Reaction Disposition Type

This specification adds a new disposition type to the disposition types
specified in [RFC8098]:

    disposition-type /= "reaction"

The "reaction" disposition type is always followed by one or two
disposition modifiers: A reaction emoji and/or a textual reaction word.
The disposition modifier is extended as follows:

    disposition-modifier /= reaction-word / reaction-emoji
    reaction-word = Atom
    reaction-emoji = emoji_sequence ; defined in [Emoji-Seq]

    base-emojis = thumbs-up / thumbs-down / grinning-face /
frowning-face / crying-face

    thumbs-up = {U+1F44D}
    thumbs-down = {U+1F44E}
    grinning-face = {U+1F600}
    frowning-face = {U+2639}
    crying-face = {U+1F622}

    base-words = "Like" / "Dislike" / "Happy" / "Unhappy" / "Sad"

When the reaction-emoji appears, it must be encoded as an encoded-word
[RFC2047].

When the "reaction" disposition type is used, the disposition action
mode is always "manual-action" and the disposition sending mode is
always "MDN-sent-manually".

3. The rest of the message

The text portion of a multipart/report message which includes a
"reaction" disposition notification should include some simple text that
can be displayed to the user describing the reaction for MUAs that do
not implement this specification. For example:

    Pete Resnick reacted to your message with a "Like" (đŸ˜€).

For ease of displaying the message to the user of MUAs that do not
implement this specification, it is useful to form the "Subject:" field
of the message as if it were a reply to the original message (e.g.,
prepend the original subject with "Re: ") and to include the
original-message-id in the "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" fields.

MUAs that implement this specification can display adornments on the
original message (found by using the original-message-id field in the
disposition notification) indicating the reaction, without displaying
the multipart/report message directly to the user.

----

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best