Re: Informational RFC-to-be - draft-rfced-info-touch-00.txt

jkrey@isi.edu Fri, 22 March 1996 16:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:15:24 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: jkrey@isi.edu
Posted-Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:15:24 -0800
To: kasten@ftp.com
Subject: Re: Informational RFC-to-be - draft-rfced-info-touch-00.txt
Cc: iesg@isi.edu

Frank and IESG folks,

Over the last two years I have had friends/colleagues come up to me
while at other meeting venues and state that they've decided not to
come to IETFs anymore.  They do send some of their employees to attend
working groups and gather information.  [Note I use the term "gather"
information, not contribute.]

These people have been up front about how they feel that they can get
more accomplished by developing protocols outside of the IETF forum.
They've also stated that when they feel that their protocols are ready,
they will bring them to the IETF, and perhaps put them through the
"blessed" standardization process.

While I can understand how they feel (these folks USED to be quite
active in the IETF as working group chairs, participants in technical
input on protocol developments, etc.), I am also becoming concerned
about losing our "audience".  Perhaps this is just part of the growing
pains process in the evoution of the Internet/IETF, but one I think the
IESG should be watching carefully.

Joyce