Re: OSI NSAPs and IPv6

Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcoms.cern.ch> Wed, 20 March 1996 16:23 UTC

Subject: Re: OSI NSAPs and IPv6
To: iesg <iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>, iana@isi.edu
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:23:02 +0100
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcoms.cern.ch>

Harald,

I've been looking into this with the interested parties (Juha
Heinanen and Yanick Pouffary - this is a very European topic
it seems).

The conclusion is that selectors in OSI and ATM don't need
to be centrally registered - that is simply not done, they
are always dynamically or locally assigned. Even if two different
applications specify the same values or the same defaults, this
is not considered a violation of anything.

Strange but true.

  Brian