Re: Anomaly in upcoming registry

Mark Davis ⌛ <mark@macchiato.com> Mon, 29 June 2009 16:32 UTC

Sender: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:32:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Anomaly in upcoming registry
From: Mark Davis ⌛ <mark@macchiato.com>
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>
Cc: "ietf-languages@iana.org" <ietf-languages@iana.org>, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>

I agree, except for the sentence:

> since the RFC already deprecates the use of most macrolanguages (including
'sh') in favor of encompassed language subtags.

Macrolanguages are *not* deprecated; only 'sh' is; that's why it is an
anomaly.

%%
Type: language
Subtag: zh
Added: 2005-10-16
Scope: macrolanguage
%%

I think what you meant to say is that the RFC *favors* the use of
encompassed languages over the use of their macrolanguages.

Mark