Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Provisional registration of 5 X-Device-* HTTP Header fields for use in content transformation guidelines

Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org> Fri, 10 July 2009 15:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:34:36 +0200
From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: ietf-message-headers@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ietf-message-headers] Provisional registration of 5 X-Device-* HTTP Header fields for use in content transformation guidelines

Hi Graham,

The situation the Mobile Web Best Practices working group is trying to
address is one where different vendors used different HTTP header field
conventions (all starting with 'X-') for the same use in their proxies,
requiring content providers to support the different names when they
wanted to do things properly. What the working group would like to do is
to shrink the list of existing conventions to one and only one
convention, but would prefer not to introduce any new convention (be it
the last one) for that to happen. The 'X-Device-foo' format is the most
commonly used format in the list based on the group's experience, and
thus the chosen one.

That said, I have nothing against provisional registration of both
forms. I add the topic to the working group's agenda for discussion. I
suppose that, in any case, if we register the 'X-Device-User-Agent'
header field, the 'Device-User-Agent' header field de facto would become
"unavailable", not to trigger any confusion.

Francois.