[ietf-nomcom] NomCom 2023 Process for IETF Chair/GEN AD Replacement

NomCom Chair 2023 <nomcom-chair-2023@ietf.org> Tue, 19 September 2023 07:04 UTC

From: NomCom Chair 2023 <nomcom-chair-2023@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Cc: ietf-nomcom@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 00:04:10 -0700
Subject: [ietf-nomcom] NomCom 2023 Process for IETF Chair/GEN AD Replacement

All,

As you have seen [1], Lars has just indicated that he is not able to continue as IETF chair.  I’d like to thank Lars for his service in this difficult and important role.

However, the fact that Lars has given plenty of notice, while very much appreciated, creates something of a problem. There are some rather large holes in the mid-term vacancy rules in RFC 8713.

After consultation with a number of community members, I have concluded that the 2023-2024 NomCom should take responsibility for filling this vacancy, running in parallel with their regularly scheduled work.  A longer document describing the procedural problem, the decisions necessary in this circumstance, and supporting rationale for each is included at the bottom of this email.

To be clear, this process does not have strong support in our existing process documents.  However, there is a need to fill the position.

The 2023-2024 NomCom will start the process of asking for nominations for the position.

Because this is something of a significant variation from the usual process, there will be a period of community feedback.  Input on this process is welcome over the next month at ietf-nomcom@ietf.org, ending on 2023-10-20.  As the responsible body for RFC 8713, the IESG will be responsible for judging consensus and whether this process variation is acceptable to the community.

If the community does not reach consensus, the NomCom will abort their process and another process will need to be developed. The possibility of this outcome will be made known to prospective nominees as part of the upcoming call for nominations.

Martin Thomson
nomcom-chair-2023@ietf.org

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/XQYoVIiC9XEg3XzGC_kY7s67dQg/