Re: [ietf-privacy] [perpass] New Version Notification for draft-cooper-ietf-privacy-requirements-00.txt

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 23 September 2013 07:41 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:40:57 +0200
To: perpass <perpass@ietf.org>, ietf-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] [perpass] New Version Notification for draft-cooper-ietf-privacy-requirements-00.txt

hi Stephen, all,

(copying ietf-privacy as requested in the draft)

I've read the draft; it's a very good and welcome start at extending 6973 to a set of concrete recommendations for protocol design. I've got one comment on opportunistic encryption, though:

In section 3, halfway down the page: "...at minimum, opportunistic encryption needs to be well-defined for almost all new IETF standards track protocols."

I understand the rationale behind that "almost", but the lines around it will need to be very clearly drawn. On brief consideration, I cannot think of a single _new_ protocol for which opportunistic encryption shouldn't be the default, for reasons other than interoperability with an existing protocol that has a significant installed base. Even in such cases, I think it would be useful to be very clear that communication in the clear for interoperability is an exception, a "legacy" mode, "to be deprecated", or other not-very-happy-sounding words that mean "we realize we're stuck with it in this case but that's really no excuse."

The information radiated even from protocols which have no obvious connection with personal data can be correlated with other information which can paint a very rich behavioral picture, that only takes one unprotected link in the chain to associate with an identity. Opportunistic encryption everywhere reduces the content of this radiated information, as well as reducing the risk of unprotected links holding some associable identifier. So exceptions will have to be very well justified if an aim of this work is protection of privacy against pervasive surveillance.

Cheers,

Brian