[ietf-privacy] Nits about draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements-06.txt

SM <sm@resistor.net> Thu, 11 April 2013 06:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:02:01 -0700
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
From: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Cc: ietf-privacy@ietf.org, geopriv@ietf.org, Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>
Subject: [ietf-privacy] Nits about draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements-06.txt

Hi Martin,

[I added a Cc to Eliot in case he is interested]

At 17:00 10-04-2013, Martin Thomson wrote:
>Hmm, I'd be interested to hear about what you consider to be
>problematic with the privacy considerations.  We put a lot of thought
>into those.  Obviously, this is potentially highly sensitive, but I
>thought we'd hit the important considerations.

As a FYI, the is an article about the privacy bounds of human
mobility at
http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130325/srep01376/full/srep01376.html

Here are some nits (feel free to ignore).  Section 6 mentions that:

   "In order to protect the privacy of the subject of location-related
    measurement data, this implies that measurement data is protected
    with the same degree of protection as location information."

Section 6.2 mentions that:

   "By adding measurement data to a request for location information, the
    Device implicitly grants permission for the LIS to generate the
    requested location information using the measurement data.
    Permission to use this data for any other purpose is not implied."

and

   "A LIS MUST discard location-related measurement data after servicing
    a request, unless the Device grants permission to use that information
    for other purposes."

How can a device implicitly grant permission?  It is up to the user
to grant permission.

The specification also sends information, e.g. for wifi, which might
not readily available to the cellular operator.  The privacy model
followed can be described as the unknowingly informant model.

Regards,
-sm