Re: [ietf-smtp] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5321 (5414)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sun, 01 July 2018 00:24 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:24:42 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, iesg@ietf.org
cc: romer@apple.com, ietf-smtp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-smtp] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5321 (5414)

Hi.

Because I couldn't remember whether this was done intentionally
or not, I forwarded this to the ietf-smtp list.  It appears from
discussion there that this was done (by the DRUMS WG) to align
the successors to RFC 821 with the successors to RFC 822 and so
is deliberate.   It may be that DRUMS made the wrong decision
and that the empty construction that this allows should be
disallowed in both specifications, but that would be a
substantive change, not an erratum.

Recommendation:

(1) The erratum should be rejected.  Like it or not, the ABNF in
5321 is intentional, at least in part for consistency between
the SMTP Standard and the Mail Headers one.

(2) If Mr. Romerstein believes that a Local-part of "", i.e., a
Mailbox that looks like  ""@Domain, should be prohibited, I
suggest that he review the recent thread on ietf-smtp
(https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-smtp) and, if they
can be found and searched (I suspect they cannot) the archives
of the mailing list for the long-gone DRUMS WG to understand the
history of this issue.   Once that history is at least
understood in general terms, an Internet-Draft that would change
this for both SMTP and Mail-Headers would be procedurally in
order.  Of course, that is not a prediction that such a draft
will be successful in gaining consensus... I can't even guess at
that.

best,
   john

--On Friday, June 29, 2018 15:30 -0700 RFC Errata System