Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

"todd glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Sun, 23 July 2006 17:04 UTC

From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 09:55:59 -0700
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

Doug - you said something  really important here about advancing the IETF's
collaborative processes by inducting them atop a groupware solution.

>  Meanwhile, there is a lot of good work going on with other VCS
> platforms that might be even better. (And don't even get me started on how
> useful it would be for at least some of the work of editing documents, at
> all levels, to be in a good VCS.)

Seriously Doug This  commentary of yours on collaborative interfaces is very
important in evolving the IETF's document collaboration processes and
getting past this insane "text-only" mindset based on UNIX Terminal Session
type interfaces to the world.

> The hope (although sometimes pollyannish, hope none the less) is always
that
> by making your desired end result sufficiently clear, without specifying
> implementation in nauseating detail, that you might be able to find a
> contractor who has more creative ideas for solving these problems than you
> do. I'd like to see the RFP language be open enough to allow for that.

How about the IESG is presented an "WG Collaboration Option" to the WG EMail
Service Providers Agreement which is something like:

WG Email and Service Providers may also offer collaborative interfaces in
the form of Web Based access points to Groupware sites configured for those
efforts. A Working Group for instance could operate a Web-Based Groupeware
based Collaborative Environment for any and all projects within the Umbrella
of that WG's Operations.