re: secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps-04

carlberg@g11.org.uk Tue, 26 July 2011 10:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:41:35 +0000
From: carlberg@g11.org.uk
To: shanna@juniper.net
Subject: re: secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps-04
Cc: lionel.morand@orange-ftgroup.com, draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps.all@tools.ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review.

<snip>

> This standards track document defines Diameter AVPs that can be
> used to convey a variety of priority parameters. While the Security
> Considerations section of this document properly requires that
> implementers review the Security Considerations section in the
> Diameter protocol specification and consider the issues described
> there, it does not include any analysis of the specific security
> issues related to priority systems. The authors should review other
> Security Considerations sections relating to priority systems
> (e.g. the one in RFC 4412) and add text that describes the
> special security issues that arise with priority systems and
> the countermeasures that may be employed.

You raise an interesting issue and we actually had a discussion about
this on the DIME list
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/current/msg04773.html>

And just for the sake of completeness, here is the security
considerations text of the dime-priority-avps draft in question:

    This document describes the extension of Diameter for conveying Quality
    of Service information.  The security considerations of the Diameter
    protocol itself have been discussed in [I-D.ietf-dime-rfc3588bis].  Use
    of the AVPs defined in this document MUST take into consideration the
    security issues and requirements of the Diameter base protocol.

    The authors also recommend that readers should familiarize themselves
    with the security considerations of the various protocols listed in
    the Normative References listed below.

In a nutshell, the authors and the chair disagreed with the need for
extending the security considerations to include an analysis with
other protocols (eg, rfc-4412) because these protocols operate outside
of the DIAMETER protocol.  The dime-priority-avps draft is an
extension of I-D.ietf-dime-rfc3588bis, and thus is subject to the same
security considerations to the bis draft.  And its also important to
keep in mind that the dime-priority-avps draft does not inject
prioritization into the exchange of DIAMETER messages.  It simply
defines AVPs that correlate to some priority fields of other protocols.

If it was the last sentence (above) in the dime-priority-avps security
considerations that has triggered your comment about further analysis,
then I'd prefer just removing that text.

cheers,

-ken