RE: secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps-04

Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net> Tue, 26 July 2011 10:54 UTC

From: Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net>
To: "carlberg@g11.org.uk" <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:52:45 -0400
Subject: RE: secdir review of draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps-04
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "lionel.morand@orange-ftgroup.com" <lionel.morand@orange-ftgroup.com>, "draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-dime-priority-avps.all@tools.ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>

Thanks for your response, Ken.

Removing the last sentence that you quoted would make things worse.
Readers of this draft should definitely familiarize themselves with
the security considerations related to priority. We should make that
easier, not harder. The fact that those considerations also apply to
other RFCs does not remove the fact that they apply to this one also.

You cannot publish a document whose security considerations section
says (as this one effectively does today), "There are lots of security
considerations related to this document. To understand them, please
dig through all the referenced documents and figure it out yourself."
Doing that digging and analysis is the job of the document editors.

In order to ease the burden on you, I think a reasonable compromise
would be for YOU to review the documents referenced and decide which
have the most relevant security considerations. Then you could list
those explicitly in the last paragraph of the Security Considerations.

Thanks,

steve