RE: RFC Editor Function SOW Review

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 24 July 2006 17:44 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:44:05 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: "Fleischman, Eric" <eric.fleischman@boeing.com>, Dave Crocker <dhc2@dcrocker.net>, Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
Cc: IETF Administrative Director <iad@ietf.org>, IETF Announcement list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: RFC Editor Function SOW Review

Exactly.

Where Dave and I disagree, I think, is that I consider getting
from "technically correct and coherent but not in English that
is acceptable to non-native speakers who primary language also
differs from that of the author/editor" to be a community
responsibility, while Dave considers it a WG (or other advocacy
group) one... At least I hope I have that right.

That work is arguably best done by professionals because it
requires considerable skill; skill that improves with experience.

There are several reasons I want to see it handled as a
community responsibility rather than as a WG one, but the most
important is that, if people have to be hired to do the work, I
don't want to see our working groups turn into mini-consortia
with their own budgets, funding sources, hired editors, etc.
It seems to me, based on both thought experiments and experience
with other standards bodies, that would lead to side effects we
just do not want.

    john

--On Monday, 24 July, 2006 09:07 -0700 "Fleischman, Eric"