Re: [Slim] Last Call: <draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-06.txt> (Issue 5, section 5.3 )

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Wed, 15 February 2017 13:45 UTC

Subject: Re: [Slim] Last Call: <draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-06.txt> (Issue 5, section 5.3 )
To: Paul Kyzivat <paul.kyzivat@comcast.net>, slim@ietf.org, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 14:44:52 +0100

Den 2017-02-14 kl. 00:44, skrev Paul Kyzivat:

> On 2/13/17 12:53 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
>
>> Gunnar, who participated extensively in the SLIM WG, appears to be
>> attempting to re-introduce a mechanism to indicate preference of
>> modality which was considered and rejected multiple times by the WG.
>>
>> WG rejection of Gunnar's previous proposals to do this was based on
>> reluctance to try to solve this particular problem in the first version
>> of the spec, not on any of the specific mechanisms proposed to solve the
>> problem. Proposing a new or modified mechanism during IETF LC appears to
>> be an attempt to rehash an argument made, but not won, in the WG.
>>
>> If this concerns a different issue, not merely a different way of
>> approaching it, please accept my apology and explain more clearly how it
>> is different.
You are partly right, but the new proposal concerns more issues and is
suggested to be a simplified solution to them.

The proposal adds media level influence to the asterisk humintlang
attribute value parameter. In draft -06 the asterisk is said to be a
media level parameter. But it does not change any influence on media
level depending on which media or humintlang attribute you append it to.
It just has session influence. That clearly indicates that with the
current definition, the asterisk parameter  is misplaced.

It can also be seen that it has quite vague and unprecise influence on
the session level.

This is the essential part of section 5.3 where this parameter is defined:

"The mechanism for indicating this preference is that, in an offer, if
    the last character of any of the 'humintlang-recv' or 'humintlang-
    send' values is an asterisk, this indicates a request to not fail the
    call (similar to SIP Accept-Language syntax).  Either way, the called
    party MAY ignore this, e.g., for the emergency services use case, a
    PSAP will likely not fail the call."

So, the lack of the parameter everywhere in the SDP MAY be seen as a
request to reject the call, but that request may be ignored.

The real effect of this parameter is therefore in fact a preference. In
order to motivate its existence on the media level, I proposed the
extension of its meaning with an influence depending on on which
humintlang attribute(s) it is attached.
Since the lack of the parameter apparently indicates a stronger
preference for getting the call through, I suggest that the placement of
an asterisk on a specific humintlang attribute indicates lower
preference for matching that language/modality/direction versus some
other language/modality combination specified for the same direction.
The one who want the call rejected if the highest preferred
language/modality could not be matched is likely less interested in
providing lower preferenced alternatives, so the session influence can
be maintained.

By that we both sort out inconsistencies with the use of the asterisk
and add value to it that will enable much more satisfied users and more
calls going through.
And the solution is simpler than all earlier proposals and much more
simple than not acting on the addressed issues now.

My proposed wording is available in issue 5 in my initial mail from Feb 13.

  Regards
Gunnar