Re: Usage of services without IPv6 Support

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> Wed, 22 April 2020 15:03 UTC

Subject: Re: Usage of services without IPv6 Support
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:02:39 -0400

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:19:46PM -0300, Fernando Frediani wrote:
>> Hello
>> I am not sure if you followed the whole discussion of if you have seen
>> only this message, but this has been already clarified that it's not
>> about Github specifically and that document. As mentioned there are
>> other cases, and other tools that do not go under the same process.
>>
>> It's instead about IETF keep using any tools that have not done their
>> part in implementing IPv6 on it yet. It's about showing the example, not
>> just get the work done regardless. I know some people are more pragmatic
>> and just want to get work out of their way, but I personally believe
>> sticking to values in this situation is indeed important. What good is
>> it if IETF standardizes things if some people don't bother if they will
>> be adopted and followed or not ?
> Couldn't I make this same argument about *any* IETF standard?  Do we need
> to reject services that don't implement TLS 1.3 or NFSv4 or QUIC or OSPF
> (v2 or v3?) or ...?
>
> Bjoern made (upthread) a much more compelling argument about why IPv6
> specifically is so important, and I think you're doing yourself a
> disservice by using only the "it's an IETF standard" argument.
>
> Sorry for the digression,

Last time I looked, Internet standards were VOLUNTARY standards. They
are only mandatory to the extent that implementation is necessary for
something to actually work (if your router doesn't pass IP packets, you
can't really do very much with it), or when a customer's specs require
specific standards.

The last time something was mandated, that I recall, was the TCP/IP flag
day, which, arguably, is what marks the birth of the Internet.

Having said that, seems to me that the IETF should eat it's own dogfood
- set an example and all that.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown