Re: [consensus] comments on draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Mon, 02 April 2007 21:28 UTC

References: <41825.12.108.168.179.1171660575.squirrel@www.trepanning.net> <tslwt2hiybm.fsf@cz.mit.edu> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB90325134F192B@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <tslfy947pol.fsf@cz.mit.edu> <45D73CEB.2000701@qualcomm.com> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB90325134F192D@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <0C7B902B470A264FA64D66CBF76FB821014CD3F6@WIN-MSG-20.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.microsoft.com> <C24CB51D5AA800449982D9BCB90325134F1947@NAEX13.na.qualcomm.com> <tsld52qipph.fsf_-_@cz.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:27:56 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf@mit.edu>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, Bernard Aboba <bernarda@windows.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [consensus] comments on draft-housley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

  Sam,

  I guess the question is, what text in this I-D would prevent a new
key distribution protocol based on AAA in which the authentication
server sent a copy of the peer's keys willy-nilly to every
authenticator it had a security association with?

  Another question: has the peer no say in to whom its secrets are
disclosed? If you think it does then what in the I-D addresses that
concern and if you don't think it does then why?

  As I have stated (starting with my 16 Feb 07 comments) I think this
is an important I-D and we need an RFC on this subject. I just don't think
it goes far enough in proscribing bad behavior and mandating good behavior.
Again, the 802.11 Task Group "r" is a prime example of why this I-D
does not go far enough.

  I think this I-D has to discuss the use of AAA as a key distribution
protocol and it does not do that right now.

  At the SAAG meeting you said (something to the effect of) "everyone
understands the 'channel binding' issue". I don't necessarily agree with
you (see 802.11r) but the problem is that when AAA is used as a key
distribution protocol that issue explodes in another dimension. And people
think that if it's OK to ignore that issue in the traditional EAP case
where an authentication server gives single key to single authenticator
through whom the peer is speaking then it must be OK to ignore it when
distributing keys to a multiplicity of authenticators that the peer is not,
and may never be, speaking to.

  Dan.