Fw: IETF Tools

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Wed, 14 September 2005 14:14 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:13:52 -0500
Subject: Fw: IETF Tools
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Fred Baker posted the following note to v6ops, and other versions may be
floating around other mailing lists, but I wanted to follow up to a wider
distribution.

- The IETF tools site IS continuing to add really cool functionality (as
detailed by Bert/Fred below), but I haven't seen anything broadly
distributed about one of the most helpful additions.

- If you go to http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ and select a specific working
group, you get the working group drafts that you can get from other places,
but you ALSO get "Related Documents", which is basically any non-working
group Internet Drafts that have "-(working group name)-" as a component in
the filename.

- So, if you select  http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/, you don't just get the
WG drafts, you also get a list of documents with titles like
draft-baker-v6ops-end2end-00.txt  - not a working group draft, but "of
interest".

- This makes scraping all of the drafts that will be discussed in a
face-to-face meeting a LOT easier than cut-and-pasting draft names from a
text agenda (of course, the tools page also provides HTML-ized agendas, if
the text agendas included actual draft names - see
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/agenda for an example).

- The definition of "related" means "includes -(working group name)- in the
filename", so if Fred had named his draft
draft-baker-hamster-end2end-00.txt, it would not have appeared as a "related
document", unless we end up with a working group called hamster ("Host-Agile
Multihomed Streaming Terrabit Error Reporting" would be an awesome BoF name,
though).

- So, there's a real incentive to include working group names in your draft
filename, if the draft actually targets a specific working group...

Thanks again to the Tools Group, for continuing to hack away at stuff like
this.

Spencer