Re: Last Call: 'Internet Code Point Assignments' to Proposed Standard

Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> Fri, 12 August 2005 12:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:43:08 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: swallow@cisco.com, Eric.Gray@Marconi.com, iesg@ietf.org, John.Rutemiller@Marconi.com
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Internet Code Point Assignments' to Proposed Standard
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Commenting as an individual (and as the culprit for
RFC 1888 and RFC 4048):

Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, The IESG wrote:
>
>> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to
>> consider the
>> following document:
>>
>> - 'Internet Code Point Assignments '
>>   <draft-gray-rfc1888bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
>> iesg@ietf.org or ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by 2005-09-07.
>>
>> The file can be obtained via
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gray-rfc1888bis-01.txt
>

> The title is inappropriately generic.

I agree. Suggest

   Internet Code Point Assignments for NSAP Addresses

> Given RFC 4048, is there sufficient evidence that this would be useful to the operational (or any other) community ?

My understanding is that the ATM world needs this.

> (Being more explicit on this draft's relationship to RFC 1888 and 4048 would not hurt in general.)

Slightly agree, see below.

1. Introduction

    The means RFC 1888 defined for encoding NSAP addresses in IPv6
    address format, was heavily annotated with warnings and limitations
    that apply should this encoding be used. Possibly as a result, these
    encodings are not used and appear never to have been used in any IPv6
    deployment. In addition, section 6 contains minor errors. As a result
    of these various considerations, an Internet Draft [BC] has been
    submitted recommending that RFC 1888 be made historical.

The last sentence, and the reference, is out of date. Suggest:

                                                              As a result
    of these various considerations, RFC 1888 has been obsoleted and
    declared Historic by RFC 4048 [ref RFC 4048].

2. IANA Considerations

    Remaining decimal values '2' through '9999' SHOULD be assigned on
    an IETF consensus basis, with IANA consent.

I don't understand "with IANA consent." Also SHOULD seems ambiguous.
Suggest:

    Remaining decimal values '2' through '9999' MUST be assigned on
    an IETF Consensus basis [ref RFC 2434].

but I wonder whether Expert Review wouldn't be sufficient? Do we
really need to trouble the whole IETF for this?

4. Security Considerations

    Security issues are not specifically addressed in this document, as
    the NSAP encoding of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses is compatible with the
    corresponding security mechanisms of RFC 1825 [1825].

I'd prefer to be told that this document doesn't directly affect
the security of the Internet, if that is the case. Also, RFC 1825
is obsolete - the current document is RFC 2401.

    Brian