Re:

Daniel Karrenberg <dfk@ripe.net> Fri, 30 June 2017 16:53 UTC

Subject: Re:
To: ietf@ietf.org
From: Daniel Karrenberg <dfk@ripe.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:53:27 +0200

john,

your eloquently told story agrees with personal memory and my particular
version of reality ;-).

I know for a fact that ISO3166 at the time contained at least two letter
alphabetic, three letter alphabetic and numeric codes for each country
or territory recognized by the United Nations.

I also distinctly remember a number of conversations with Jon about DNS
"going international". Jon wisely saw that IANA needed an external
authority to decide what was a country. After considering several such
authorities, the United nations appeared the most widely agreed one.
>From there it was but a short step to ISO3166. The choice for two letter
alphabetic codes was also straightforward: there were no two letter TLDs
at the time and that guaranteed that there would be no clashes with
exiting TLDs. [1]

So I would argue that ASCII ccTLDs are indeed meant to be exactly two
letters. If only to avoid clashes with future changes to ISO3166 I would
consider it to be a Bad Idea to allocate two letter ASCII strings for
any other purpose. This is why I have spoken up against ".EU" until the
ISO3166 maintenance agency published it as a "reserved" code.

Conversely it would be problematic now to have three letter ASCII ccTLDs
unless there is a clear agreement with ISO that they will never allocate
a three letter code that already exists as a gTLD. Afaik there are no
clashes right now, but past results are not a guarantee for the future.
It is never a good idea to have two 'authorities' over one part of a
name space.

dfk

[1] UK appeared at different times in at least two realities that have
been recounted to me. ;-) But there was no clash in ISO3166 at the time.