Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net> Fri, 10 June 2011 05:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 01:35:00 -0400
From: Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net>
To: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support
Cc: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>

Unless you are elevated to higher level networking people who are
normally not part of the support process, what 1st/2nd support feeds
end-users should be taken very lightly.

This is all very simple - economics.  Its not just about end-users,
but major operations who are IPv4 dependent and as scary it may sound,
its going probably going to take some major conjones, i.e. arm
twisting and an act by congress similar to HDTV to force "everyone" to
switch by so and so date, which is the only way the IPS (Telecos) will
break business contracts with their business tiers.  Its more
complicated than people having legacy TVs and wires to it.  We are
talking major operations for millions of companies, small to large,
who simply can't "afford" to close the door on IPv4.

I personally understand the draft's attempt to begin "closing" the
mentality of sticking with IPv4.  As long as there a fallback, the
urgency to move towards IPv6 is minimized.   At some point, some hard
decisions will need to be made. Which takes be back to the HDTV
analogy - only a government mandate made that happen.   But its not
the same because its not just a relative few networks or broadband
providers, but there are many software vendors, free, commercial or
otherwise that need to change their software across the board; SMTP,
FTP, NNTP, IMAP, POP3 etc.

The bottom line: unless I am force to support IPv6, stack or no stack,
the investment required isn't going to happen soon.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com