Re: Backdoor standards?

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Thu, 13 January 2022 17:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:20:46 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Scott Bradner <sob@sobco.com>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Backdoor standards?

FWIW, Scott's summary is consistent with what I remember, even
though I had forgotten the mirrored, no deletion, collections.
I was somewhat in the loop when Jon Postel initially resisted
the idea of I-Ds, especially ones that might become an archival
alternative to RFCs.  Scott's account is essentially correct
and, FWIW, some of the discussion in this thread revisits that
one.  I do consider that 2012 IESG Statement [1] to be strong
evidence of a formal IESG decision on the matter although, if
Scott's recollection is that the actual decisions and actions
were made long before that statement was issued, I would trust
those recollections.

It may also be worth noting that the Statement is one of many
reaffirmations about groups other than the IETF posting I-Ds
containing their working documents.  That policy definitely
began many years earlier.

We would probably benefit from someone putting together and
publishing a history of Internet-Drafts, paralleling RFC 8700,
before more of our memories deteriorate or otherwise become
inaccessible.

best,
   john

[1]
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/internet-draft-removal/

--On Thursday, January 13, 2022 10:12 -0500 Scott Bradner