RE: Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Wed, 24 August 2005 15:11 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:02:36 +0200
To: Scott Hollenbeck <sah@428cobrajet.net>
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Cc: iesg@iesg.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On 13:24 24/08/2005, Scott Hollenbeck said:
> [...]

Dear Scot
This an IESG last call. The IESG solicited final comments on its
intent to take a decision on the document - not on the WG methods. I
am honored to be involved in an internal discussion to the IESG by
the AD in charge, but if the IESG has already set-up its mind, what
is the use of a Last Call period?

The considered Draft does not describe a practice. It is a standard
track proposition among many others, existing or possible, including
better ones (according to his author), in an area where expertise is scarce.

>Why a BCP?  Production of this document is a direct requirement of the group
>charter: "This working group will address these issues by developing
>two documents.
>The first is a successor to RFC 3066." 3066 is BCP 47.  The
>introduction and list of changes included in the
>document describe why and how it is obsoleting 3066.

A successor is not necessarily a replacement. This question marred
the two last previous Last Calls of this proposition. Time has come
to address this in deprecating RFC 3066/BCP 47 and in considering
this Draft as what it is: a standard track RFC.

>The ABNF suggestion has been discussed, partially accepted, and partially
>rejected by the working group.  If you have new information to describe why
>you think the working group decision was a mistake, please describe it.

The IESG is to determine is if there is a consensus or not about the
Draft. It is not new the sun is not blue. It is not new that
commercial interests are in conflict with open sources. There are on
this list - and this is the purpose of a LC - all the IETF
competences to evaluate if the partial acceptance of my suggestions
went far enough or not.

A technical conflict remains a conflict. One may dislike it, but one
has to address it. We have two contradicting propositions, one
accepted as an RFC, one here under discussion. Both use W3C needs as
a motive, but both authors claim (one by disclaimer in his text, the
other in the WG debate) they do not represent the W3C positions. May
be a LC is the proper time, and this list the best place, for W3C to
tell us officially the tags, the private use tags or the other tag
formats they (also) want. And the same for all the other concerned SDOs.

All the best.
jfc